Any time we're learning to move our bodies in a certain way, we have to learn how to do it without hurting ourselves. When learning piano, keeping in mind how you sit and move your hands will prevent you from experiencing back and joint pain. Here are a few things to keep in mind before and during each practice session.
- Sit up straight. You should feel your sitting bones on the bench.
- Keep your elbows at the height of the keys. If possible, adjust your seat to make sure of this.
- Maintain a loose, comfortable, and flexible hand position. The tighter your hands, the harder it is to shift positions and stretch your hands.
- Eliminate tension (spine, shoulders, elbows, wrists). Take a second to notice any tension and shake out the area(s) you feel it in.
- Keep your feet flat on the ground.
Feel free to ask us questions about this by going to "Send Us Feedback" in the settings menu of the app or writing to email@example.com.